Thursday, April 20, 2006

That chap Will

There I was, sat comfortably down with a cup of coffee, reading this fortnight's complimentary copy of the LRB thinking "here I am sat comfortably with a damn fine cup of coffee" when what do I see but a review of two books on coffee and coffee houses (unfortunately, to read on you will either need the paper copy or a subscription).

Contemporary painting of a coffee house

What are the odds of that?, I thought. Serendipidity, I thought. Rubbish I thought. Don't most people sup coffee as they read?

I read on,
if you wanted literary wit, John Dryden and his mates would be at Will's
What are the odds of that?, I thought. Serendipidity, I thought. Rubbish I thought.
Dryden, often considered the writer of the finest political satire in English, Absalom and Achitopel, at Will's? You jest?

No comments: