GUSH SHALOM is the hard core of the Israeli peaceAs the article says
movement. It is known for its unwavering stand in times of crisis, such as the
al-Aqsa intifada. For years, GUSH SHALOM has played a leading role in determining
the moral and political agenda of the Israeli peace movement.
The primary aim of GUSH SHALOM is to win over Israeli public opinion for these principles:
- an end to the occupation.
- acceptance of the natural right of the Palestinian people to an independent and sovereign state.
- the pre-1967 Green Line as the border of peace between the State of Israel and the State of Palestine.
- Jerusalem as the capital of the two states, East Jerusalem as the capital of Palestine and West Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. A city open for all, not cut into pieces by walls and roadblocks.
- just and agreed solution to the refugee problem, that will include repatriation to the State of Palestine, return of an agreed number to Israeli territory, payment of compensation and settling in other countries.
- evacuation of all the settlements in Palestinian territory.
GUSH SHALOM is an independent extraparliamentary organization. Being free of any obligations to parties and lobbies, the movement can advance its principles clearly, completely and resolutely. Not seeking any fleeting popularity, the Gush can act as a vanguard – advocating ideas years, and sometimes decades, before they are generally accepted.A vanguard organisation worth supporting.