Thursday, June 16, 2005

Meat is Murder

Let me confess. For many years I was a vegetarian. Then I went over to the dark side. Bacon butties. But that's just an occasional treat. I still regularly cook, and eat, a splendid vegan bolognese sauce.

But yesterday's Grauniad made me think. It carried a front page story saying Meat is Bad for You. Essentially, eating red meat increases the risk of bowel cancer.

The, obviously totally independent and objective, organisation British Meat said
"If you eat meat, you are not going to get cancer."
Amazingly no other news media reported on such a scientific breakthrough. Perhaps that was because there are several ways of interpreting that statement:
  1. If you eat meat today you are not going to get cancer tomorrow as a direct cause.
  2. No one is going to get cancer.
  3. Only vegetarians get cancer.
  4. This statement is total injustifed lokshen (lokshen not meant as a food).
It was reported in the Guardian so it must be true.

No comments: