Thursday, June 09, 2005

Moving Pictures and the People who Appear Therein

In response to this here's my list of favourite film stars (in no particular order):
  1. Cary Grant
  2. Humphrey Bogart
  3. Rod Steiger
  4. Marlon Brando
  5. Al Pacino
  6. Jeff Bridges
  7. Orson Welles
  8. Walter Matthau
  9. Eve-Marie Saint
  10. Katherine Hepburn

It's so difficult to come up with a ten without omitting many others who could just as easily make it. Perhaps there should be more of an equal gender split, but that's the way it is.

Some choices need no explanation. But here's a partial justification:

Rod Steiger for his essence, his zest in In the Heat of the Night, On the Waterfront and his magnificent portrayal of Napoleon in Waterloo. When I was 8 I was passionate about three things: war gaming, anything about Napoleon Bonaparte, and cricket. I dragged my mother and brother to the cinema to see Waterloo. It stayed with me.

Walter Matthau for being a role model. And for The Taking of Pelham One Two Three.

Eve Marie Saint for On The Waterfront (and for Rattlesnakes).

Today, that's my perfect ten. Tomorrow, that's another day.

No comments: