Saturday, February 04, 2006

Seduced by Progress

This guy was seduced by Progress Publishers in India.

I got seduced in Wolverhampton. Going into town with pocket money as a twelve year old. Going into bookshops. Wanting to buy something interesting. Something informative. Something to overcome terminal boredom. Something to put on your bookshelf. And most importantly something to read. What is to be done? For one pound fifty. How could anyone refuse?

I hurried home with the book, feeling worthy and slightly dangerous. I began to read it. And I got bored. I was twelve. Cricket called. The book sat on the shelf. Looking down at me. It's moved with me many times. I think it's still on a bookshelf at home. Do I feel guilt that I never really read it from beginning to end? Yes. But I feel that guilt about many books.

And that got me to where I am today. In a house of books.

No comments: