Thursday, August 14, 2008

England Lions v South Africa

Today I went to Grace Road, Leicester, to see England Lions play South Africa at cricket.

On the train over I happened to sit in the quiet carriage on the train. I was quiet until a passenger phoned a friend and recounted all about his holiday and his windsurfing fun and games. He was on a train to London. But he wasn't stopping in London. He was off to Richmond to speak to Jamie Redknapp and Scott Parker (whoever they are).

I took a taxi from the train station and got dropped off by the Cricketers pub. But where was the entrance to the ground? Behind an unmarked black garden gate was an alley that lead to the entrance. If some other people weren't heading in that direction I would never have found the ground.

Inside the ground I met my friends and we watched England bat. Robert Key scored a creditable 51 but that apart there was a reckless abandon of wickets. England were all out for 184 inside the 50 overs.

Herschelle Gibbs played a good innings for 81 to lead South Africa to a convincing victory despite some disappointing batting by his team mates.

On Saturday I'm off to Derby to see both teams battle it out again.

For a full match report of England Lions v South Africa at Leicester, see Cricinfo.

No comments: